Tuesday, May 29, 2007

War of the Worlds


I own this movie. Really, that's not slang. I own it. It's a keeper.

The first time I watched it, it scared the (insert your favorite flavor here) out of me...and movies don't scare me.

...especially the scene near the beginning where Ray Ferrier, played by Tom Cruise is viewing the oncoming lightning storm in his back yard. Lightning without thunder. Creepy. Well done.

...or the scene where they come back upstairs and a 747 has crashed into their suburban cul de sac. There goes the neighborhood.

Steven Spielberg is a genius. Tom Cruise is at his best. Dakota Fanning is quite convincing - charming. Tim Robbins is too liberal...oops...I mean is excellent. His delusional character is quite true to life...but I digress. As much disdain as I have for his politics, he is a good actor. See Shawshank Redemption, which also stars Morgan Freeman who's narration incidentally opens and closes War of the Worlds.

His narrative at the end is interesting. It describes how "God in his wisdom" saw fit to protect man with microbes. Sort of an argument for intelligently-designed evolution. Maybe its a direct quote from H.G. Wells' book upon which the movie is based but I found it intriguing.

War of the Worlds is two years old but if you like science fiction thrillers, I recommend it. Similar to Independence Day only not comedic in the least; by design.

6 comments:

Chet said...

One wonders, though, why "God in his wisdom" wouldn't just have not created Martians rather than both creating Martians to invade and kill us and all those microbes which certainly saved the day in the end - after they'd caused the deaths of billions of humans throughout history.

Not the strongest argument for intelligent design I've ever seen; although if you intended to make it easy to say that intelligent design is essentially science fiction without the science, you certainly accomplished that.

jroosh said...

Geez, Chet. How many times have you watched the movie? You do realize it was a movie, right?

It wasn't an arguement for intelligent design:

"Sort of an argument for intelligently-designed evolution. Maybe its a direct quote from H.G. Wells' book upon which the movie is based but I found it intriguing."

As in an intriguing ending to a movie.

Chet said...

I don't understand the stealth-censorship. What did I say that was so offensive?

jroosh said...

Chet, honestly, I enjoy debating issues and I respect others' viewpoints if for no other reason to be open-minded and to challenge my own beliefs. But I think you are just making arguments for the sake of it. Case in point, I've never had someone come on my blog and shotgun comment negatively on multiple posts in one short visit. I also offer your own blog as evidence. If you have beliefs, make your point and back it up. But if your goal is just to rebut everybody else's posts, its not constructive and its not fun. Also, keep in mind my son reads my blog.

Chet said...

But I think you are just making arguments for the sake of it.

I don't understand. Why else would anyone do it? I don't know you; you don't know me. I certainly don't get paid to do this. I followed a link you left at Jay Reding's blog.

You claim that you "enjoy" debating issues, so clearly you feel the same way I do - it's fun to meet someone who holds the opposite view and see who can marshall the best argument. So I don't understand why you would prevent people from debating with you if that's something you enjoy.

Is it possible that what you really enjoy is thinking that you're right about something, and you don't particularly enjoy being informed of the opposite?

But if your goal is just to rebut everybody else's posts, its not constructive and its not fun.

That's what debate is, though. That's what you claim to enjoy. A debate is when each side rebuts the other's arguments and advances their own. Rebuttal is a part of the debate; it's how debaters are kept honest. If you can't contradict an opponent when he makes a false claim, then debate isn't what's occurring.

Also, keep in mind my son reads my blog.

I don't intend to, nor did I, say anything that was inappropriate for a child to read. And I've not said anything that I don't believe is true and can't substantiate with facts. But you might consider what example you're setting when you claim to be a person who enjoys debate, and is interested in the truth, but works to squelch inconvenient information.

Chet said...

And indeed I've not "shotgunned" your blog; I've made pointed arguments that were on-topic in every case. I'm sorry if you can't handle truths that contradict your beliefs but somebody with that level of intellectual timidity shouldn't claim that they "enjoy debate." Indeed someone with that thin a skin shouldn't blog.