Thursday, June 28, 2007

One Year Ago Today


It was 10 AM on June 28th last year that I got the phone call that all parents hope they never get.

"...they think its Diabetes."

And it was.

A couple hours later our whole family was being trained to give each other shots of saline. JBird got her first shot of insulin.

We're not dwelling on this anniversary with self pity. Rather its an opportunity to celebrate the fact that we have pulled together as a family. That my daughter is stronger than we knew. That amazing technology keeps JBird healthy and allows her to live a normal active life. That we have a supportive family, friends and community.

I can now tell you from experience that when something like this happens to your child, you don't have time to dwell on the downside. You are called to action so quickly that there is no fear. And once you have adjusted to the new reality, you look back and find that ultimately it was a positive experience, hard as that may be to believe.

To see your 8-year old daughter rise to the occasion, adjust and then continue to live her life to the fullest as a kid, you count your blessings and take your cue from her. If she isn't going to feel sorry for herself how can we? She is the happiest kid I know. She wears her insulin pump as a badge of courage. She obliterates all the little petty challenges I have all day long in my work day with her smile and her giggle.

We are so proud of her and so grateful to Medtronic and JBirds heroes at the International Diabetes Center as well as the many volunteers, celebrities and scientists that are dedicating their time and their resources to finding a cure for Type 1 Diabetes.

As for now, life goes on, better than before.

1 comment:

Mommy2aSweety said...

Wow..tearing up over here..too early 4 this. My 5 year old daughter was recently diagnosed and we're still trying 2 get the hang of things. I get VERY stressed sometimes, you know..it's just..I thought I had alot to deal with and worry about before now this..it's like.. I dunno. I'd really like 2 talk 2 someone who's been through this.

I can never imagine how my Daughter or ANY child that has to go through this must feel. It's not like I had stuffed her full of junk and there's no family history that we know of so it's been a MAJOR shock and..God, if u r still around plz contact me.
I'm at a loss, sometimes, I need someone 2 talk 2 that understands. Thanks, I appreciate it..