Saturday, September 8, 2007

Rudy on Fred

For the Democrats, despite Oprah's best efforts to prop up Obama, Hillary's nomination is a foregone conclusion. I don't think that's a smart move for the Dems, because I don't think she can win. I don't think there are enough Americans, men or women, ready for a female President in a time of war. Women don't like her. Men even less. Furthermore, I believe there a lot of voters that wish nothing less than to see Bill Clinton as first lady.

I believe that the Republican race for the nomination is going to come down to Rudy and Fred, with Mitt a close third, although he has shown signs of life of late.

I was reading through the transcript of the Fox debates from the other night and found it interesting that Fred Thompson's candidacy was actually a question to the other candidates, despite Fred's late entry and resultant absence from the debate.

I found Rudy's answer a good preview of his strategy in combating Fred's candidacy:

MR. HUME: Mr. Mayor, your thoughts?

MR. GIULIANI: I like Fred a lot. I think Fred is a really, really good man. I think he’s done a pretty good job of playing my part on "Law & Order." (Laughter.) I personally prefer the real thing, and -- but I think Fred will add something to this race. But I think this is a nomination you have to earn, though.

Nobody’s going to give it to you; nobody’s going to glance it to you; nobody’s going to crown you.

You’ve got to go out there, like these gentlemen have done, and I’ve done. You’ve got to -- you’ve got to meet people in Iowa and New Hampshire and all over the country. You’ve got to work hard for this.

And finally I think it’s going to come down to experience. This is not a time that the United States should be electing someone who’s going to get on-the-job training. You need people with executive experience.

And my real concern is you have three leading Democratic candidates, none of which have ever run a city, a state or a business. (Cheers, applause.) And this is not -- this is -- America’s at war. America’s got some big problems. It’s not the time for on-the-job training as an executive.
Historically, it has been tough for a Senator to win the Presidency because your voting record is hard to dispute. Rudy makes a salient point in that Fred has no executive experience. Naturally, comparisons have been made between Thompson and Ronald Reagan, who also was elected to an executive office on the back of his notoriety as a celebrity but he was a Governor first, and of the state that contains Hollywood.

In any case, I'm glad Fred Thompson has officially entered the fray and look forward to seeing him go head to head with the other GOP candidates and ultimately Hillary if he gets that far.

Politics is full of surprises and upsets I am sure we have many to come in the race to next November.

No comments: