Tuesday, November 27, 2007

It's Not A Purse

So I was grabbing all my stuff yesterday before hopping into the truck for a three-hour roadtrip...and I had to make two trips from the house to the garage.

Phone
iPod
Wallet
Keys
Sunglasses
Digital Camera
Water Bottle
Gloves

Do you remember this episode of Seinfeld?

Elaine: So, you had to carry some of Keri's stuff. Big deal.
Jerry: You don't understand. I went on a successful pocket diet, and I want to keep that weight off.
Elaine making a bowl of cereal.
Elaine: You know what? We sell this thing at Peterman that would be perfect for you.
Jerry: Not more of that crap from the Titanic?
Elaine: No. No. It's a small men's carryall.
Jerry: I'm not carrying a purse.
Elaine sits down at the table to eat her cereal.
Elaine: It's not a purse. It's European.
Jerry sits down with Elaine.
Jerry: Oh.

Later on...

George: Well, at least, I'm not carrying a purse.
Jerry: It's not a purse. It's European!

...

Kramer: Jerry, you forgot your purse.
Jerry: Oh, thanks.

(A pickpocket runs by, taking Jerry's carryall, while everyone yells in surprise)
Jerry: Hey! Officer! Someone took my European carryall!
Cop: Your what?
Jerry: The...black, leather...thing with a strap.
Cop: You mean a purse?
Jerry: Yes, a purse. I carry a purse!

I don't know about you but with all the stuff men have to carry around, what would be wrong with a small purse? When will we men be comfortable with carrying a purse? I have keys, a wallet, a smart phone, my memory stick, chapstick, ibuprofen, sunglasses...

...I'm just saying.

The Seinfeld episode obviously didn't create the desired trend...okay, so who wants to be first?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you ever watch 24 on Fox you will see that Jack (main character) always carried his "man bag". A lot of men I work with also carry a bag. If stylish, they look good.

jroosh said...

I appreciate the irony of an anonymous comment in support of man bags

Jeff Kouba said...

I proudly say I carry around my junk, such as the list you mentioned, in a canvas bag. Very manly.