Sunday, December 30, 2007

I'm Not Particularly Inspired


Fred Thompson has has been in politics and Hollywood long enough to know that when you say something in the spotlight, anything at all, it can and will be dissected. Sentence by sentence, even word by word.

So when he said “I’m not particularly interested in running for president," the former senator said at a campaign event in Burlington when challenged by a voter over his desire to be commander-in-chief.“But I think I’d make a good president," Thompson continued. "I have the background, capability, and concern to do this and I’m doing it for the right reasons.”

The headlines predictably read “I’m not particularly interested in running for president"

You see that's why they are called headlines, not headparagraphs.

If you say something ill advised in the public light that requires the explanation found in the following paragraph, you are just asking for trouble. Being coy is not a particularly endearing quality for a political candidate.

Fred has already fired his campaign manager once, but I doubt this gaffe can be attributed to anyone but Fred himself. I can't imagine anyone writing this stuff for Fred...except possibly Hillary.

I think Fred would make a good President too but his campaign for President, with the exception of his debate appearances, has not been inspiring. The competition is tough, and time is short.

No comments: