Friday, December 21, 2007

One Adam Twelve, Decaf at Hollywood and Vine, Code Three

Police reward good drivers with coffee

Motorists may be in for a surprise if they spot flashing red lights in their rearview mirrors in this Sacramento suburb during the holiday season.
Police are stopping law-abiding motorists and rewarding their good driving with $5 Starbucks gift cards.

A traffic officer came up with the idea to "promote the holiday spirit and enhance goodwill between the traffic unit and the motoring public," police Sgt. Tim Curran said.

Local businesses donated money to buy the gift cards.

"They raised a substantial amount of money," Curran said. "They'll be pulling over a lot of people."

I wonder what sort of goodwill the police would generate if they stopped setting up revenue-oriented speed traps and started being seen in our neighborhoods again?

1 comment:

Kermit said...

I saw this on KARE 11 news Wednesday, the first thing I thought was "STUPID!!!" The bubble head news reader said "Aw, that's so nice."

Don't pull me over to pat me on the back for doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I get all the government participation in my life I need, thank you.