Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Love at First Sight

When I was a kid, my Grandpa had Cadillacs. Like the crew in Tin Men (one of my all-time favorite movies by the way) I think his cars were worth as much as his home.

In the seventies and eighties Cadillacs became lightly disguised Buicks and Oldsmobiles as GM in their arrogance began what has been generously called "brand management".

The low point? The Cimarron. The car that Cadillac would like to forget they ever conceived. A Chevy Cavalier with leather seats.

Now Cadillacs are becoming cool again...and to the buyers that Cadillac wants, the working affluent. Quality and design are both improving dramatically but they are still far from being the "Cadillac" of cars. But that may be okay. Today's Cadillac needs to be different. Today's Cadillac needs affluent and young buyers.

As my lease end approacheth, a Cadillac, the CTS, is on the list of "must drives" for the first time.


Cadillac CTS Coupe Concept: Reportedly will go into production in 2009 and be sold as a 2010 model.

3 comments:

Bike Bubba said...

Is it more or less a requirement in your profession to drive a car that's less than five years old? I hardly have a car broken in by the time you're trading them in, but then again, I don't drive clients anywhere in my 10 year old pickup.

jroosh said...

Yes, actually it is. Clients want to see that you are successful. On the other hand, if I drove up in a Bentley or a Ferrari they would be concerned that I am making too much managing their planning.

I usually do three-year leases.

Bike Bubba said...

In other words, you would drive a Caddy for the same reason that dentists historically drove Buicks (until Lexus came along). Got it.