Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Is it any wonder?

...that AMC isn't around any more? (of course I should talk...my first car was a Ford Pinto Squire Wagon with woody decals on the sides)





Who was the genius that thought naming a car "Gremlin" was a good idea?

grem·lin

–noun
1. a mischievous invisible being, said by airplane pilots in World War II to cause engine trouble and mechanical difficulties.
2. any cause of trouble, difficulties, etc.
3. algore disciple named atherton that thinks the MMGW argument has been settled

Hemmings

1 comment:

Bike Bubba said...

I actually have seen a few of these, as well as those Eagle 4wd they made back in the 1970s, on the road--and not just in "Wayne's World." Mountain hippies on Colorado like those things, I guess.

I don't know that "Gremlin" was that bad of a name, though. Back in the day, the idea of a mischievous gnome fit the demographics of small car buyers of the time. (the idea of "mechanical problem" was probably secondary at best)