Friday, June 27, 2008

Five American Cars that Don't Suck

Car and Driver lists the The Best Reasons to Buy American.

...and I'm sure you are dying to know what I think.


I must admit while this car is probably not a fit for me, the design is a breakthrough especially for a Chevy. It is a particularly rich-looking car for the money.



This one's a no-brainer. Cadillac has finally got it's (stuff) together and save putting extra chrome and wood on a Suburban and calling it an Escalade and charging another thirty grand, Cadillac is producing some fine automobiles and the CTS may be the best Cadillac ever.



I'm not buying this and I'm not buying this as a breakthrough car. It's a square minivan - or a larger Scion (Toyota) xB. You all know what I think of minivans - and I really don't think they need to be reinvented. Chrysler already makes a square minivan. No thanks.



Corvettes, at least the last couple of series, have offered some of the best horsepower per dollar ratios in the automotive world and GM has been smart to let Chevrolet keep the faith. Corvettes are fast enough to blow the doors of most anything else save the ultra-exotics and are now comfortable and durable enough to be a daily driver - although maybe not in Minnesota.



While the Challenger is cute, and certainly true to the design of the original, putting a big V8 in front driving the rear wheels of a large coupe isn't exactly ground-breaking. Most of these cars, and there probably won't be a lot of them on the road, will be the V6 variants anyway. Plus - it's been done already. It's called the Ford Mustang.

3 comments:

Kermit said...

When the wife and I were celebrating our 25th in Virginia last Summer we rented a Malibu. I ordinarily drive a pickup, but I was very impressed by that car. It was solid, handled well, had plenty of power and there was actual head room!
If I were to buy a sedan, it would be on my short list.

Adam Denison said...

Wow, it's nice to see we (GM) fared so well! The vehicles you listed are really great. Thanks for your post.

Adam Denison
GM Social Media Communications

Bike Bubba said...

I'm with Kermit--the Malibu is right up there with the HHR on my short list of affordable cars for a "person of height."

Adam, quick request if you're still reading; more manual transmissions.