Monday, July 14, 2008

"That's all I have to say about that."



Recently, I attended a talk given by one of the legends of my company's leadership team. Soon to retire, he gave us his reflections on thirty two years of honorable service to our company, our clients, and in no small part to our industry.

The last of a handful of meaningful observational bullet points was "Don't Worry-be Happy," and he quoted a well-known excerpt from the lesser-known piece below, which I found and wanted to share; you'll find it below.

His talk was particularly timely for me as I have been reviewing and assessing my goals of late, counting my blessings and taking stock of where I spend my time, which is increasingly at a premium as for example Number One is now a teenager and his sisters aren't far behind.

A rough sketch of my "Vertical Alignment" can be found in the subtitle to my Blog. Save God, it's all there, and pretty much in order.

...but something has to go. And for some time now, I've had a pretty good idea what.

Blogging is a lot more time consuming than it looks. And ask any blogger who is committed to regular writing, it is also quite addicting. As much as I have enjoyed the creative process, the comments and debate, I have a finite amount of time and focus and I have decided to allocate both elsewhere for the foreseeable future.

I will pop up here and there as a contributor or commenter on my favorite blogs and some day I hope to attempt a couple other forms of creative writing on my life list. Maybe even a more focussed blog some day.

I want to especially thank Smithers and Aaron for inspiring me to start my own blog and also recognize the many bloggers, listed below and to the right, who are elevating the media form as legitimate journalism; a source of news, entertainment, perspective and unfiltered opinion.

Blogging and eBay are to date, the best examples of how the internet has removed almost all friction from commerce and the flow of information. Blogs are the modern day pamphlets, not unlike the ones Benjamin Franklin distributed under his various noms de plum in the formative years of our nation.

I feel like the lead character in my favorite film, Forest Gump: for three years he runs coast to coast several times and then out of nowhere, decides to go home. My problem is like his. I can't tinker with anything. I'm either all in or all out. It's also probably why I can't watch the Vikings since 1998 any more.

After a year and a half, almost a thousand posts, 18,000 visitors (most of which looking for pictures of the tooth fairy), and $3.23 in Adsense revenue it's time for something different.

Thank you for challenging my beliefs and opening my mind with your comments and feedback.

Thank you for reading my blog.

***UPDATE***



TUCKED AWAY in our subconscious minds is an idyllic vision in which we see ourselves on a long journey that spans an entire continent. We're traveling by train and, from the windows, we drink in the passing scenes of cars on nearby highways, of children waving at crossings, of cattle grazing in distant pastures, of smoke pouring from power plants, of row upon row upon row of cotton and corn and wheat, of flatlands and valleys, of city skylines and village halls.

But uppermost in our conscious minds is our final destination--for at a certain hour and on a given day, our train will finally pull into the Station with bells ringing, flags waving, and bands playing. And once that day comes, so many wonderful dreams will come true. So restlessly, we pace the aisles and count the miles, peering ahead, waiting, waiting, waiting for the Station.

"Yes, when we reach the Station, that will be it!" we promise ourselves. "When we're eighteen. . . Win that promotion. . . Put the last kid through college. . . Buy that 450SL Mercedes-Benz. . . Have a nest egg for retirement!"

From that day on we will all live happily ever after.

Sooner or later, however, we must realize there is no Station in this life, no one earthly place to arrive at once and for all. The journey is the joy. The Station is an illusion--it constantly out distances us. Yesterday's a memory, tomorrow's a dream. Yesterday belongs to a history, tomorrow belongs to God. Yesterday's a fading sunset, tomorrow's a faint sunrise. Only today is there light enough to love and live.

So, gently close the door on yesterday and throw the key away. It isn't the burdens of today that drive men mad, but rather regret over yesterday and the fear of tomorrow. Regret and fear are twin thieves who would rob us of today.

"Relish the moment" is a good motto, especially when coupled with Psalm 118:24, "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."

So stop pacing the aisles and counting the miles. Instead, swim more rivers, climb more mountains, kiss more babies, count more stars. Laugh more and cry less. Go barefoot oftener. Eat more ice cream. Ride more merry-go-rounds. Watch more sunsets. Life must be lived as we go along. The Station will come soon enough.

9 comments:

jkruse said...

A bummer, but I understand.

Thanks for all the thought provoking discussion.

'See ya' around, kind of.

Jeff Kouba said...

bummer indeed. Though, the thought of doing other things with my time certainly crosses my mind on a regular basis. I hope we still see ya around.

Mark Heuring said...

Totally understand your rationale. You've done a great job with your blog. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Best,

Mr. D

Il Duce' said...

We'll always have a spot for you at the Anti-Strib if you want to publish something.

Dan S. said...

Hey, JRoosh, sorry to see you're hanging it up.

I hope you won't be a stranger around the MOB'osphere, and if you change your mind and decide you have something to say (publicly), please do -- we wanna hear it!

Take care, friend.

Bike Bubba said...

We'll miss ya. That's what I should have expected, however, for praising minivans one too many times. :^)

Leo Pusateri said...

Man Oh man...

Yours has been a pleasure to read...aned your screeds will truly be missed.

In the way of the Irish,

May the road, rise to meet you,

May the wind be always at your back.

Warmest and best wishes,

-Leo-

Teaparty said...

Well, the sphere is a little less entertaining today.

Best to you Roosh.

jroosh said...

Thank You all for your comments. Here's an UPDATE!